Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Guest Author Mia Downing

 






What do the words ‘writer’s block’ mean to you?

Frustration! Heartache!

Actually, there is usually a reason why I have writer’s block. I’m a pantser (meaning I write from the seat of my pants instead of an outline), so I might not know enough about the characters yet. Sometimes, I’ve gone the wrong path in the book, one that wasn’t motivated or worked with the conflict. I usually review what I’ve written and start thinking more about the characters and their goals, motivations, and conflicts.

Do you read your book reviews? If yes, how do you process negative reviews?

I don’t read my reviews anymore unless someone comes to me and points out formatting errors. I had one book with a publisher that did something weird with the pages after downloading. I had the publisher fix it.

My most negative (and shortest) review was from some guy who said, “Dum.” Not even spelled correctly. I just burst out laughing.

If you could time travel, would you go back or forward in time?

That’s an interesting question since this series deals with time travel! They all can go backward in time. I’d love to see the Victorian era and early Egypt.

In one word, describe yourself.

Nice.

Do you find yourself getting emotional when you write? Is there a scene that sticks out as being the most emotional to write?

Not usually, though I can recognize more moving parts. If I can get my editor to cry, I’m doing good. She loves angst.

The hardest book was Ripped (m/m), because the main character dealt with an alcoholic parent (as did I.) A publisher acquired that book on a Thursday. My dad died that Saturday. I think that was divine intervention to help me sort through a lot of issues.

What are you working on now? Can you give us a sneak peek?

I’m working on proofing Freezing Time and writing Making Time, both of the Bonded Souls series (books 2 and 3). I’ll give you an excerpt from the first book, Chasing Time, since I don’t have a cover yet to show off for Book 2. I can’t find a hero I like to represent him! I adore my cover for Chasing Time. This is how I pictured the characters!

Chasing Time is a second chance romance. Skye is prickly and wary and done with men. Marek is a sexy cinnamon roll hero who has no problem showing her that she needs a man like him in her life. There’s a little magic and time travel in this (not the traditional kind.) It’s something very different than anything I’ve ever written, and I love these guys so much.

This scene is their first kiss. She’s wary, and he jokingly asked by email if he could claim a kiss on their first date. She had responded there’d be no tongue or groping. (She’s not that straight-laced. She’s just done with men.)

Excerpt from Chasing Time (Bonded Souls book 1).

Skye

Marek’s slippered feet came into view, and his hand tucked under my chin to draw my gaze back to his dark-blue eyes. “I’m going to claim my kiss now, to make you feel better.”

“What?” My mouth went dry while my brain panicked.

His thumb swept over my cheek, but his fingers held my chin firmly. “Shh… One, closed-mouth kiss. No tongue, no groping. I know the rules. Remember, no cons to this.”

Before I could protest, his mouth drew closer, and his lashes fluttered closed. As his lips touched mine, I snapped my eyes shut. Most kisses started with a blast of unfamiliar energy that bombarded my senses. His lips held nothing more than a tiny but enjoyable shock as they slanted for a better angle.

Before I could begin to enjoy it, the pressure lightened, and he gently lifted, dropping a small kiss to the tip of my nose.

I opened my eyes to find his crinkling at the corners as he smiled.

“There. That’s out of the way,” he said, his voice a little hoarse.

My hand fluttered to my throat as his hand slid to cup my cheek, his thumb brushing my jawbone. I should be jerking away from him, but instead, I leaned into that slight touch. “Thank goodness.”

“We wouldn’t want to be tempted to do that again.”

“No,” I agreed, though every cell in my body ached for more. How could I get another taste of him without looking desperate? “But if you had to, you could petition for a second kiss.”

His mouth quirked at the opportunity. “Oh, I didn’t realize that was a thing. Well, consider yourself petitioned. What are the rules?”

Rules… For some reason, the mention of rules sparked a blurred memory of a closet and a man’s lips on my neck as he stroked his fingers deep inside me. My smoldering insides burst into flames, and all rational thought went up in a trail of smoke. I wet my dry lips with the tip of my tongue, and his gaze dropped to follow the subtle movement.

“Uh.” Think, think. “What if the second one lasted a little longer…”

“Oh?” His breath blew across my cheek, tickling the skin.

“And maybe…a little tongue the next time.” I bet he wouldn’t ram his tongue down my throat like other guys. No, it’d be like a slow, gentle dance that got dirtier as the drinks got stronger. I hadn’t had that, but I’d seen it in movies.

“Groping?” His thumb brushed over my bottom lip suggestively.

A thousand tiny shocks of pleasure raced along my skin. God, yes. “No groping.”

He nodded as if considering that kiss. “What about kiss three? I’m petitioning for kiss three, too. There should be a lot of tongue and groping at kiss three.”

I’d never wanted a third kiss so badly before, but I couldn’t give in that easily. “We’ll have to see. It’s a surprise.”

He dropped another kiss on my nose and stepped away. “Surprise is my middle name.”

***

Blurb from Chasing Time (Bonded Souls Book 1)

Skye Worthington’s quest for family brings more than she bargained for…

My already turbulent life flips upside down the moment Marek Young appears. Nightmares from a childhood jumping between foster homes edge into sexy dreams of a man in leather pants with a simmering magical touch. As Marek is an important client at the bookstore where I work, I can’t say no when he asks me to dinner. I didn’t expect the pull of desire or the sizzle of familiar energy the first time we touched, but I need more than satisfaction. I need the truth. Yet the truth he offers seems too bizarre to believe…

One fated jump through time destroyed Marek Young’s life…

I have only one mission—make my wife love me again. Except the aloof bookstore clerk and grad student has no recollection of me. An emergency jump through time left Skye to grow up in this era with no memory of our adventures...or me. Unfortunately, she’s always had a temper. My time is running out, but if she discovers what I did to strand us here, she’ll kill me anyway.

Chasing Time is the first book in the exciting Bonded Souls series. This is a gut-wrenching, second chance romance with a spark of magic by Mia Downing. Jump into this magical new world today!

***

Mia Downing’s Bio and Links:

Mia Downing started creating heroes at age four, but her heroes back then rode ponies to the rescue and only kissed her on the cheek. Today, Mia’s heroes still rescue those in need, but the price of their toys and the expertise of their seduction leads to a whole lot more.

When Mia isn’t busy creating new stories for her readers, she ensures justice runs smoothly in a New England courthouse. She lives on a small farm with her family and enjoys horses and knitting.

 

Connect with Mia Downing on social media!

 

Website: www.miadowning.com

All Retailers: https://books2read.com/ap/8YEWm8/Mia-Downing

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MiaDowningAuthor

Twitter: https://twitter.com/miadowning007

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/mia-downing

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/miadowning007/

 



No comments:

Post a Comment