Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Child's Bookshelf

The war of eBooks versus print books is still continuing. I'll agree, there's nothing like holding a print book in one's hands. The feel of the paper, the smell of the pages and especially dog-earing to save one's place. Yet, eBooks are taking over the industry. The convenience and cost is an advantage. In a society where technology holds great splendor, the newest e-readers can make even the deepest lover of print books salivate.

As an eBook author, I encourage the new technology. Save a tree. However, when it comes to children, I have a strong belief that they thrive on print books. Little hands should know the feeling of holding a book.

I started reading to my kids when they were babies. Honestly, they'd be breastfeeding and I'd be reading to them. As they grew older, I continued to read, especially at bedtime. There was nothing sweeter than snuggling in bed with the wee ones and reading until they fell alseep.

Now my children are reading on their own, which is a bittersweet accomplishment. All three of my children are avid readers. They each have bookshelves in their rooms, stuffed full with print books...and memories.

I sometimes go into their bedrooms and thumb through the memories (or rather books). Some of my faves are, Where the Wild Things Are, Goodnight Moon, I Love You Stinky Face. Anything Curious George, Winnie the Pooh, Princess and Garfield themed are always a hit. I can't count how many times I've watched my children sitting on the floor, staring at each page as if their mind was a sponge spoaking up every detail before turning to the next adventure.

As a child I also loved to read. One could say I had a fascination with books of all genre. I remember feeling as if I were transformed into another world with each new book I'd begin. I could read morning, noon and night. I'd read books that I loved two, three and four times until I knew I'd etched the words inside of my mind. Maybe it was this fascination that led me into becoming a writer. There is nothing more fascinating than creating a story of adventure.

My chilren have an appreciation for books. They have an appreciation for the art of words. Each of them love to write their own stories, even my youngest who is only seven.  I've allowed my children to line their bookshelves with stories they love. In this I've also created memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment