Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Short vs. Long: Size does matter

I wouldn't consider myself a seasoned writer, not yet. With six published eBooks, two awaiting contracts, and several awaiting last minute polishing, I would say I have enough experience to say that size does matter. Now kindly remove your mind out of the gutter. I'm talking word count. I am currently working on a short erotica and it's certainly been the most difficult for me.

Actually, this story started out as a novel, but somehow during the first few chapters, I quickly learned that it was destined to be 15,000 words or less. It wasn't that I couldn't fill up the pages with sexy scenes and hot dialogue.I believe this is where my writer instincts kicked into gear. Some stories are meant for fast punches. I compare it to eating an ice cream cone in the middle of the summer. If I buy a large cone it's a sure thing that I won't get to enjoy the entire thing before it melts. However, if I buy the smalller size of the richest, most sinful ice cream in the shop, every lick is like a pleasure to the senses.  Exactly what it's like writiing a short erotica. Because it's smaller, every page must offer pleasure to the readers' senses.

I'm excited as I finish up the last few chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment