Monday, February 4, 2013

Spooning for the mind

Reading is like spooning for the mind.Have you ever read a book, got so caught up that it felt like you were transported into the pages? It's as cozy as that feeling of been spooned by someone you love.

As a writer, I want my readers to feel cozy, warm and excited when they read my books. Each writer has his/her own writing identity. When I first decided to sit down and write, I had read many authors' works and would think to myself, "I want that style." I can laugh now. You can, too. Go ahead. What's funny about that statement is, a writer must allow their individual creativity and style to flow from page one till end. It matches no other's style. It makes us who we are as a writer.

There is nothing as ego boosting as a reader telling you that they love your work. Next to signing that first contract, reader praise is worth gold. Like in every career, we can feel crash and burn. positive feedback is much like a fish line thrown into murky waters and lifting you into a boat. The compliments from readers outweigh any number of sales.

Thank you to my readers...

Second Chance Cowboy continues to be my best seller. This tickles me, especially since I signed a contract recently for a sequel, Second Ride Cowboy, Duke and Lila's story. Second Ride releases later this year.

Second Chance Cowboy Book Cover

A tumble down the stairs lands Carly back in the arms of her ex-husband.

After the loss of a child tears her marriage apart, Carly vows she’ll never speak to her soon-to-be ex-husband Chance again. On the eve of their divorce, however, Carly takes a stroll down memory lane and calls Chance.A passionate one night stand between the two is shattered by cruel light of morning. With reality having set back in, Carly admits to Chance she made a mistake, forcing him to come to grips that there is no hope left for their marriage.
Fate has other plans for them. Carly’s fall down some stairs leaves her with amnesia…but that’s only the start of it.
Can deception bring a second chance at love or will it forever destroy an already broken marriage?
Publication Date: November 08, 2010  - Length: Short Novel

Second Chance Cowboy by Rhonda Lee Carver

Excerpt:


Copyright 2010, Rhonda Lee Carver
All rights reserved, Lyrical Press, Inc.

Carly squeezed her hands into fists. “My poor husband. How difficult it is for him to manage his inflated ego and keep his zipper closed.”
“We’re divorced, remember?” His voice reeked of sarcasm.
She groaned in irritation. Her pulse pounded in her ears like the beating of a drum. Her claws were showing.
Chance didn’t blink an eye as he gazed at her across the room. “Honey, I can keep my pants zipped just fine. Problem is, you can’t keep your fingers off my zipper.”
Carly’s palm itched to slap him. “We live in a small town, Chance. How do you think it’s possible we haven’t run into each other more than three times in the last two years?” She cocked her chin. “Let me fill you in. I’ve done everything in my power to keep from bumping into you. Do you realize how difficult it is to plan my schedule weeks in advance so I don’t have to see you? Is that a description of a woman who can’t keep her fingers off your zipper?”
“No, more like a woman who’s afraid she’ll forget what screwed up our marriage in the first place, realize she’s made a huge mistake and get her ass back home.”
“Humph, fat chance that’ll ever happen.” She fumbled with the sheet in irritation and gave her hair a toss over one shoulder.
Damn, he did have a point, although she’d never admit it to him.
“Yeah, right, Carly, because you can’t ever forgive and forget, can you? You think you’re the only one who has lost, don’t you?” His eyes became steely pools of green. His voice turned low and controlled. “I lost Devon, too. He was my son–our son. How long are you going to keep blaming me for his death?”
Carly swallowed the painful lump in her constricted throat. “I don’t blame you.”
“Could have fooled me.”
“We both know why I left.”
“We do?” His bitter laugh split the air with its razor-sharp intensity. “I know you want to hold on to the belief that I am the bad guy who drove you away, but isn’t it time you took half the responsibility for the failure of our marriage?” A trace of compassion softened his expression. He tugged on his shirt and finger-combed his hair.
“It wasn’t my fault you cheated.” Once she said it, she wanted to yank the words back. Too late, just like their relationship.
“You’re a broken record, sweetheart. It’s not worth denying the accusation any longer. Maybe eventually you’ll believe your words and feel justified in leaving. Devon died, Carly. He’s gone and we can’t change the truth. One of us needed to make the decision to let him go and I made it. I held out hope you’d eventually find a sliver of forgiveness in your cold heart. I guess I was wrong.”<
The old wound broke open and her lungs emptied of oxygen. She wanted to lash out at him, tell him to go to hell, but the words didn’t come. Instead, she whispered, “I’m going to the bathroom. When I get back I want you gone.”
“Carly, you’ve become an expert at sucking all the joy out of your life and pushing away anyone who reaches out to you. You’re living in a self-made prison, founded on guilt and pain, and there is no key to unlock the cell door.”

_______________________________
Second Chance Cowboy by Rhonda Lee Carver Available for Sale
_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment