Thursday, November 8, 2012

NaNoWriOh-My

I wasn't going to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year. I couldn't resist. It's a challenge, and who doesn't love a good one? After writing four books in five months, all with contracts, this could prove to be biting off more than I can chew with all of the edits I'm in for. 11,000 words in, I'm holding steady.

What I'm learning about myself...

1. It's difficult not to stop and "fix" my story. In the challenge of writing 50,000 words in one month, there is no time to stop and fill in the blanks or edit grammar. All of that comes later. I'll admit, I'm seeing a lot of red.

2. If I let go as a writer, the story simply writes itself. Going into the challenge, I had no clue what my storyline was or who my characters are. I literally signed up on the 1st, jumped in and wrote 2,000 words that day...and finally had the beginning of a good idea where my characters were taking me.

3. I can't focus on the deadline or the amount of words I must write to be a "winner." I aim at allowing the words to flow freely.

4. I shouldn't write anything before I had my cup of coffee in the morning...just saying :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment