Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Guest Author--Mary Abshire

Please wlecome the talented Mary Abshire. Thank you Mary for stopping in.


thequest.jpeg

How would you like your urban fantasy, with or without romance? Or how about with just sex?

 

I enjoy reading paranormal romance and urban fantasy books. I like the mystery and action urban fantasy offers with the paranormal elements in modern day city setting. Some urban fantasy books have romance and some do not. Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me but I wonder what other readers think.

 

When I wrote The Awakening, the first book in the Project Eve series, I knew I wanted to capture the traditional UF elements but I didn't want the focus to be on a relationship between two people. At the same time, I wanted to throw some kink into the book. Well, maybe not kink…spice. Yeah, spice.

 

So how does one create spice when there's no romance? What I did is create conflict between two people and when enough was enough… Well, everyone needs to release steam at some point, right?

 

My protagonist is a woman who wakes up among dead bodies and discovers she has no memories. Boss, an in control type of vampire, and his human friend, Jonas, are investigators for a worldwide organization and they happen to find her. They want to help her and uncover who killed so many people. Not just people, but leaders and representatives of the supernatural kind from various clans. On this journey, Boss and Jonas learn my protagonist is a very unique creature. Unlike any in the world. Which makes her valuable in Jonas's eyes, but lethal in Boss's opinion.

 

You can probably guess where the tension will be and with whom my protagonist will hook up with. Keep in mind it's not romance. I didn't want my book to focus on her relationship with him. I wanted readers to be involved with the mystery. Who is she? Who created her? Who killed the people, and why? Who took her memories? By the end of the book, the reader will have some of the answers, but not all of them.

 

I purposely left questions unanswered because I planned a sequel, The Quest. My protagonist will uncover truths while she seeks retribution. Again, more mystery and she's still without memories. The same cast of characters are involved with additional werewolves, a visit from her father, and that secret lover that had popped into her head one time (in the first book). Like The Awakening, I didn't want romance, but my protagonist has to satisfy her craving in some way. Hey, she may be a unique creature but she still has needs like we all do. So there is a graphic sex scene, much like there was in the first book.

 

If you are interested in urban fantasy without the romance and don't mind a hot sex scene, I invite you to try my Project Eve series.

 

And out of curiosity…Do you have a preference on urban fantasy?

 

theawakening.jpegBLURBS:

 

The Awakening: She’s the only one of her kind. And she doesn’t even know her name.

 

Two investigators--one human, one vampire--find a young woman among a mass of dead bodies. She has no memories, and nothing but her clothes, two receipts, and a mysterious dagger carved with the initials ‘SB’.

 

As she seeks her identity, SB realizes she is unlike any creature in the world, making her the most valuable person on the planet. And the most wanted.

 

The Quest: Now that she knows her name and what she is, she wants justice for everything she’s lost. Though her memories elude her, she takes a job for a half-demon Senator and, aided by werewolves from a local clan, intends to uncover evidence that will convict the Senator of more than thirty murders.

 

Getting to the Senator and finding the necessary evidence is more difficult than she anticipates, especially when there is a bounty for her death. If that were not enough, the vampire who stole her memories returns and reveals unexpected truths. But she’s not going to let anything stop her. Not a sadistic assassin or a servant or Lucifer. Not even her ex-lover, the vampire God of the Underworld. Nothing will stop her from claiming retribution...even if the price is her life.

 

------

The Project Eve series is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and most other vendors. You can find excerpts on my website, and the first chapter of each book is available on Amazon.


 

Bio:

Outside of my government job, I write Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy. Dark and dangerous creatures are my friends. I create worlds with vampires, demons, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures. I even create new ones. How do I accomplish this? I have a twisted mind and it gets better with wine. Join me in my fantastical worlds, and I will introduce you to my friends. But if they bite or corrupt your mind, it’s not my fault.

 

Besides urban fantasy, I also write paranormal romance. I have a series called The Soul Catcher with four books available on Amazon. I have a new PNR series called Midnight Gardens and the first book comes out in 2013. For more information about my books, I encourage you to visit me at www.maryabshire.com

 

Thank you, Rhonda, for having me as a guest.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment