Saturday, October 27, 2012

Time Management in a Writer's World

NakedChefAtDitasDen

I woke up this morning and realized, it's Saturday. I had nothing pressing to do. Nothing that needed done immediately (if you don't count the mound of dirty laundry). I drank my coffee and checked my emails...without looking at the ticking clock one time. It was an amazing feeling...and very seldom happens.

The last week was bamboozled with time constraints, as like most weeks. From Halloween parties to making eyeballs (snack for the wee one's party) to prepping my walls for paint, to all of the other one-hundred things that required my attention. *deep breath--exhale*

In the recesses of my mind I have my latest work-in-progress that is spiraling out of control. The power is building. The remedy? Writing. When one has a hero and heroine beating on the wall for release, well, we got to unlock the door and let them free. Now if I could carve more time for the addiction. Yes, I call it an addiction because like a drug, writing feeds the monster within me. The more I write, the more I need. When I skip days, I feel like I'm withdrawing for words.

There are days that I feel like my head is spinning. Along the way I've had to learn what works for me and what doesn't.

One thorn in my caboose is promo. Can't we just be writers? Uhh...nope. I now have three journals/planners. One is specifically for promoting. Without it I'd be lost, seriously. Not only does it hold upcoming dates and places where I'll be, but it's become as right hand to me as my laptop. Both hold dear places in my life. If the house was burning I'm sure the laptop would cross my mind and be thrown out the nearest window.

The memo pad on my phone. It's a handy-dandy app. I use it often and religiously. From grocery lists to sports schedules to important thoughts.

Procrastination kills a good thing. I've learned the hard way to not put off anything until the last minute. After a handful of missed appointments, I understand the value of immediate action. It feels splendid to meet a deadline before it has passed.

I have to remind myself every now and then that overloading my plate is a set up for failure. I am one person. There are only so many hours in a day, and I must dedicate some of those minutes to the things that I love. Over-scheduling myself leads to bad results. It's a slippery slope. When one thing falls, everything else tends to follow. I compare it to a juggling act. Never add more than you can handle.

At the end of the day I always look back on what I've accomplished. I make a mental note of what tomorrow will bring. And I forgive myself for the things that I have no control over.

No comments:

Post a Comment